- 1-pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 5 cups of milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard (spicy brown, yellow or Dijon)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ pound cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ pound white American cheese, grated
- 4 cups collard greens, washed, stripped off stems and chopped
- 1 ½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- Salt & pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mixing well. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Add flour to melted butter, whisking until smooth. Cook roux (butter/flour mixture) for 1-2 minutes, stirring often. Whisk milk into roux, whisking until smooth.
- Bring mixture just to a boil then add remaining ingredients, mixing until cheese melts.
- In a large bowl, combine elbow macaroni and cheese sauce, mixing well.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole with cooking spray, then pour macaroni mixture into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over macaroni and cheese and place pan on a cookie sheet and place into a preheated oven.
- Bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Let cool, then serve.