- 4 New York strip steaks
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & pepper
- 2 ½ cups sliced shitake mushrooms (6 – 8 ounces)
- 1 cup slivered Vidalia onion
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Splash hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
- Season steaks with salt & pepper and rub with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil rubbing to evenly coat. Leave at room temperature.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Place cast-iron skillet large enough to hold four steaks on the grill to preheat.
- Place steaks in hot pan, searing three minutes on each side or until dark brown. Remove steaks from pan. Set aside and cover lightly to keep warm.
- Add two tablespoons to pan on grill. Add slivered onions to hot pan, stirring to distribute. Cook onions until just beginning to soften. Add mushrooms to onions, season with salt and pepper, stir until mushrooms begin to soften. Add red wine to pan, stirring to mix in. Add remaining ingredients to mushroom mixture. Stir mixture to incorporate ingredients. Add steaks back to pan, spooning mushrooms over steaks. Cook several minutes or until desired doneness. For rare steaks, remove from heat with internal temperature of 120 degrees, medium rare, 130 degrees, medium, 140 degrees, well-done, 150 degrees. Let steak rest 5 minutes then serve with mushrooms over top.