While South Carolinians have their heirloom Sea Island Peas, their only Georgia counterparts are a culinary treasure in this state, brought here from Africa by enslaved ancestors of the Hog Hammock community on Sapelo Island and now grown commercially to support the community. Mashed and fried into patties, and packed with chopped Vidalia onions grown right up the interstate, they are the perfect earthy vehicle for a coastal appetizer of huge marinated Georgia white shrimp and a tangy-spicy remoulade.
- 1/2 cup dry Sapelo red peas
- 1 cup finely chopped Vidalia onion
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch onion salt or powder
- Pinch celery salt
- Pinch garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking liquid
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 recipe Sea Island Marinated Shrimp
- 1 recipe Coastal Georgia Remoulade
Combine peas with 4 cups of well-salted water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook until peas are completely tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer peas with a slotted spoon to a mixing bowl and mash well. Add egg and spices and mix until combined, then add flour, cooking liquid and onions. Mix well.
Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Use two spoons to drop about two tablespoons of the mixture into the pan, then flatten into a patty about 3 inches in diameter. Cook patties undisturbed until crisp and golden on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Continue in batches until all the mixture is used. Makes about 12 patties.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of remoulade onto each pea patty. Top with 2-3 pieces of marinated shrimp.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 small clove finely chopped garlic
- 2 Teaspoon ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 Tablespoon horseradish
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Season with salt & pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Sea Island Marinated Shrimp
- 1 Pound cooked, peeled, deveined Georgia white shrimp
- ½ Cup slivered Vidalia onions GG logo
- 1 Lemon, sliced thin, half moons
- ¼ Cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ Cup capers
- ¼ Cup finely diced colored peppers
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce
- ¼ Cup finely diced English cucumber, skin on
- ½ Cup canola oil
- Salt & pepper
Combine all ingredients in a container with lid. Refrigerate 2 hours or up to overnight.