Ropa Vieja de Pollo
(Cuban Ropa Vieja with Chicken)
Chef Christian Perez’s Featured Recipe “Ropa Vieja de Pollo” from the 2019 Georgia National Fair Georgia Grown Event Stage.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless Springer Mountain Chicken thighs
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into quarters and sliced crosswise
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, or 6 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, or dutch oven, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs, and sear chicken on both sides to cook through completely.
- Remove from skillet and let cool slightly. Using your hands or two forks, shred chicken and set aside.
- To the same skillet add 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until onion is almost translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes, until they begin to break down.
- Add seasonings.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Add chicken and incorporate to the stew.
- Finish with salt and pepper if needed.