Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 6 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 can green chiles
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 8-ounces cheddar or pepper jack cheese, grated
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef. Drain excess grease from beef. Add onions, garlic, Mexican spice and salt & pepper. Cook mixture until onions are translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes to beef mixture and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Pour beef mixture into 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes until tender and mash with warmed milk and melted butter. Season with salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn and chiles. Distribute bean mixture evenly over beef then spread mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.