- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- self-rising flour to roll
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Whisk 2 cups flour in a large bowl, and create a well in the center.
- Add shortening and butter into well, and squish together with your hand without incorporating flour. Begin adding buttermilk to well, working into shortening and butter mixture until you have a loose paste.
- Begin incorporating flour in from the edges. When all flour has been incorporated, turn out onto floured board and knead lightly 5 or 6 times, incorporating more flour dough is too sticky.
- Pat dough out to 1-inch thickness. Dip biscuit cutter in flour and cut biscuits.
- Place on baking sheet and bake 12 – 15 minutes until golden.
Makes 10-12 biscuits.