This luxurious appetizer showcases any Camembert- or Brie-style cheese made right here in Georgia, such as Calyroad by Rock House Creamery’s Waypoint or Sweet Grass Dairy’s Green Hill. Sweet, grassy, creamy and savory, Georgia’s terroir shines through in each soup spoonful, and is excellent with some diced Georgia Crispin apples, a lemon-dressed green salad, and a loaf of crusty French bread.
For more cheeses and dairies, check out our shop page and select “butter and cheeses” from the drop down menu. Send a holiday wheel or two along with this recipe to the cheese lover in your life!
- 1 Cup finely diced onion
- ½ Cup finely diced celery
- ½ Cup finely diced carrot
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 Cups chicken broth or stock
- ½ Cup half & half
- 1 8-ounce wheel Sweet Grass Dairy Green Hill, Calyroad Creamery Waypoint, or French Brie, diced with rind
- 2 Teaspoons Beautiful Briny Sea French Picnic salt or Herbs de Provence
- 1 Teaspoon hot sauce
- White pepper to taste
- Diced apple, for garnish
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook vegetables in butter until softened, 3 – 4 minutes.
Add flour and mix to coat vegetables. Cook while stirring 3 -4 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth or stock, stirring to prevent lumps, then half and half. Whisk until smooth. Bring up to a boil then lower to a simmer. Add seasoning salt or herbs de Provence, white pepper, hot sauce and diced cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning. Serve with crusty French bread and finely chopped parsley or diced apple to garnish.
Serves 6 – 8