- 2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- 6 Ounces diced country ham
- 1 Cup diced onions
- 1# Bag Turnip Greens
- 3 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons cornmeal
- ½ Cup +2 Tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- ¼ Cup All-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup milk
- ¼ Cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high. Add sunflower oil to skillet then diced country ham. Cook country ham until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add onions to skillet, cooking until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add turnip greens to skillet, stirring to wilt. If desired, pick some of the larger stems out. Add 3 cups water to turnip greens.
- Bring to a boil then lower to simmer. Cook 30-40 minutes.
- Stir 2 Tablespoons cornmeal into turnip green mixture mixing well.
- Pour mixture into 8 X 8 baking dish. Set aside.
- Place cornmeal in medium bowl.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Heat milk, butter and salt in small saucepan until just hot. Pour hot milk over cornmeal, letting cornmeal hydrate for 1–2 minutes.
- Pour buttermilk over cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- Combine flour and cornmeal mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Using small ice cream scoop, drop cornmeal dumplings over greens in baking dish, leaving room in between.
- Bake at 450 degrees 15-20 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.