Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6
- ½ Vidalia onion, cut into chunks
- 1 3/4 cups full fat yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream thinned with water or milk, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill, plus some whole sprigs for garnish
- ½ English cucumber, cut into quarters lengthwise. Small dice remaining cucumber for garnish.
- 2 whole beets, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 medium red potato, cut into quarters
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 2 teaspoons red wine, sherry, or apple cider vinegar
Place beets and potato in a pot and cover with water. Simmer until beets and potato are fork tender all the way through, about 20 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup of cooking liquid, drain and place in an ice bath to cool.
Place cooked beets and potato in a blender with onion, cucumber, dill, garlic, vinegar, and sour dairy of choice. Blend until smooth. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid to assist blending if necessary.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve. Garnish each serving if desired with sprigs of dill, diced cucumber, and a dollop or swirl of dairy.