Cheesy Pepper Jelly Wafers
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup pepper jelly (or jellies) of your choice
For rosemary-cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cream butter and cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and desired flavorings and mix until combined.
- Form into 2 logs about 2 inches in diameter. Chill or freeze until firm.
- Slice into ¼ inch slices and create a defined thumbprint in the center of each.
- Bake on parchment-lined baking sheets at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Redefine the thumbprints in the middle of each cookie (some may have puffed during baking), then bake for another 3-5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Fill each thumbprint wafer with ½ teaspoon of pepper jelly, and serve.
- Makes about 4 dozen savory cookies